• 1 cup shortening
• 1/2 cup butter
• 2 cups sugar
• 3 eggs
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon soda
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 3 1/2 cups flour
• 1 cup chopped dates
• 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
• Cream shortening with sugar.
• Add beaten eggs, then dates and nuts.
• Add flour with soda and baking powder sifted in.
• Pinch off small pieces of dough and roll into 1 inch diameter balls.
• Place 4 - 5 inches apart of cookie sheet.
NOTE: For soft cookies (my preference) bake in preheated 350º Fahrenheit oven 15 - 20 minutes. For crisp cookies, bake in preheated 400º Fahrenheit oven 10 - 15 minutes.
This recipe and first taste of these wonderful treats came from a tiny little neighborhood lady with a big heart of gold. She mailed several boxes to me when I was a GI stationed a few miles north of Kassel in peacetime Germany many years ago. Such a taste of home can only be appreciated by soldiers so far away.